phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service

Care at home Get home care

Get home care

Get home care

Contact your local council's social care department for an assessment of your care needs. Your GP, district nurse or health visitor can also arrange one for you.

The council might have a waiting list for care assessments, so let the social care department know if you need urgent help.

Your needs will be discussed with you during a home visit, then the social care department will write to you and let you know what help you can get.

You should be advised which of the services you need are free and which would be chargeable. If chargeable, the social care department may be able to help you find someone to provide those services.

Providers of home care can include:

  • your social care department
  • a home care agency

Arranging your own home care

You have a right to request self-directed support. This gives you more control over how you get and pay for care.

Even if you decide to arrange and pay for your own home care, it's still a good idea to get an assessment of your care needs and a financial assessment from your local council. This means you'll get any advice and financial help you're entitled to.

The information was last updated on: 24th May 2017


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS