phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service

Your rights Right to appoint an attorney

Right to appoint an attorney

Right to appoint an attorney

You have the right to appoint a welfare or financial attorney to make decisions on your behalf.

You need to be over 16 to make a power of attorney and you need to be capable. Also, if you have been declared as being bankrupt or have a protected trust deed in place, you can't grant a continuing power of attorney.

The Office of the Public Guardian can provide general advice and guidance on powers of attorney. Phone 01324 678 300 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) or visit their website.

The information was last updated on: 27th August 2020


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS