Down the left-hand side of the Dashboard and on every page, you will see your main navigation menu. This is where you will find all the options to update and configure your site.
Hovering your cursor over each of the main menu options will display a fly-out menu with the various choices for that menu option.
Once you click each of the main menu options, that menu will expand to show all the available options within that section.
These can differ site to site. As you hover over each heading it will be highlighted in blue.
- Posts: this is where you can create a new blog or news post. You can also update your Categories and Post Tags.
- Media: this is where all your uploaded images, documents or files are stored. You can browse through your media library, as well as edit and update the files.
- Pages: this is where you create and maintain all your website’s pages. Partners: this is where you create and maintain all the organisations that you are closely involved with. This is optional and might not be set up on your site.
- Comments: you can manage all your comments within this section, including replying to comments or marking them as spam.
- Appearance: this menu is where you control how your site looks. You can choose a new theme, manage your site widgets or menus, and even edit your site theme files.
- Plugins: Plugins extend and expand the functionality of WordPress. You can add or delete plugins within here as well as activate or deactivate them.
- Users: this screen lists all the existing users for your site. Depending on your role, you can also add new users as well as manage their roles.
- Tools: this section gives you access to various convenient tools. You can also import data to your WordPress site or export all your WordPress data to a file.
- Settings: this is where most of your site is configured. It allows you to configure your site name and URL, where your posts appear, whether people can leave post comments or not and numerous other settings. Most times, once your site is setup, there is no need to change any of the settings within this section.
- Collapse menu: this feature allows you to reduce your menu to icons only sizes to give you more room on your screen and work area.