phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service

Equipment and adaptions/telecare How to get it

How to get it

How to get it

You can buy your own equipment or get it through the NHS or your local council's social care department.

However, every council has different criteria and eligibility as to who will actually receive telehealthcare.

Contact your local council's social care department and ask for an assessment of your care needs

Equipment for your home should be discussed as part of this.

You can bring it up as part of your assessment if it's not brought up.

You can use self-directed support payments if you want to choose equipment yourself. You'll pay the full cost and be responsible for installations, maintenance and repairs.

The Disability Living Foundation gives free advice about buying disability equipment and mobility products. You can also find information on how to get products from the Carers UK website

Details of charges will be set out in the council's charging policy. Your social care department can give you a copy of this.

The NHS provides some equipment free of charge, like walking sticks, commodes and leg raisers.

Carers can also ask about equipment through a carer's assessment if it will support them in their caring role.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service provides free home fire safety visits and free smoke alarms. Visit their website to book a visit.

The information was last updated on: 26th August 2020


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS