phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service


Physiotherapy helps people affected by injury, illness or disability through movement and exercise, manual therapy, education and advice.

Muscle, back or joint problems are collectively known as musculoskeletal conditions, or MSK for short. They are one of the main reasons people see a doctor, and they affect everybody.

Importance of looking after yourself

If you look after somebody, this can involve a lot of bending, lifting and laying, which could be a cause for your MSK problem. Often you won't have time to worry about yourself, but if you're not fit, you won't be able to care for others as easily.

Helping yourself

Not everybody needs to see a healthcare professional for an MSK problem. Following good advice can help you to get back to normal, especially if you follow the advice as soon as any problem starts. Remember that keeping up with any advice and exercises for your MSK problem could stop it coming back.

If you, or somebody you're caring for has muscle, back or joint problems, you can visit NHS inform for advice and support on what exercises can help you get moving again.

If, after a few weeks of following the advice on NHS inform, things aren't improving, don't let the problem drag on. Speak to your GP practice about how you can access local physiotherapy services.

Accessing a physiotherapist

You can see a physiotherapist:

  • through the NHS, by contacting a physiotherapist directly (self-referral) or via your GP practice
  • through occupational health schemes
  • privately

Further information

Read NHS inform's information on muscle, bone and joint conditions

Visit Healthy Working Lives for information on manual handling

Read about the Scottish Manual Handling Passport Scheme

The information was last updated on: 26th August 2020


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.


How could we improve this website or page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS