phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service

Care homes Arranging your own place in a care home

Arranging your own place in a care home

Arranging your own place in a care home

Check with the Care Inspectorate that it can provide the care you need. For example, if you need nursing care you should choose a care home that has trained nursing staff.

You can find this out by visiting the Care Inspectorate's Find a care service.

Even if you plan to arrange and pay for your own place in a care home, it's still a good idea to get an assessment of your care needs and a financial assessment from the council. This means you'll be fully aware of your options and you'll get the help you're entitled to with paying fees.

Guidance and Directions are available for self-arrangers on how to access free personal and nursing care.

The information was last updated on: 26th March 2019


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS