phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service

Care homes Cross-border rules

Cross-border rules

Cross-border rules

If you're moving care homes between England and Scotland, your current local council should be able to liaise with the council in the area you're moving to.

Your current council should pay either the usual limit for their area or the usual limit for the council you're moving to, whichever is the lowest. However, problems can arise with cross-border funding, so get advice from Age Scotland and your local council.

The information was last updated on: 8th September 2020


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS