phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service

Deprivation of capital

Deprivation of capital


If you are going to live in a care home and intentionally deprive yourself of a capital asset so that you pay less of your care home fees, the council may assess that asset as still being yours. This is known as notional capital.

If you are assessed as having capital you don't actually possess, you will be charged accordingly. The outcome of this may be that the council decides not to fund your care home fees.

The council can't refuse to provide someone with the care they need because they have notional capital. They have a statutory duty to meet the care needs that the person is assessed as requiring.

However they will assess the charge payable using your notional income and will try to recover the charge from you or seek to transfer the liability for the charges.

Read more about notional capital in Regulation 25 of the National Assistance (Assessment of Resources) Regulations 1992

Further information

The payment of care home fees is a complex subject and depends on many things which are unique to you.

If you want detailed information or personal advice, ask an experienced independent adviser like:

Advice Direct Scotland  phone 0808 800 9060, 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Age Scotland  its fact sheets have information on paying for care homes, or phone their helpline on 0800 12 44 222.

The information was last updated on: 14th October 2020


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.


How could we improve this website or page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS