phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service

Personal expenses allowance and savings disregard

Personal expenses allowance and savings disregard
If you live in a care home, there are 2 ways that more of your money can be protected from being taken into account for paying care home fees.

Personal expenses allowance

This is an amount disregarded from your income. It's meant to allow you to keep money to spend as you want on items like stationery, toiletries, small presents for friends and relatives, and other minor items.

You shouldn't be asked to contribute towards the cost of your care from your personal expenses allowance.

The personal expenses allowance increased to £31 per week, with effect from 11 April 2022.

Local councils have the discretion to increase the personal expenses allowance in certain circumstances, like letting you meet continued home commitments.

Increases for home commitments are only considered for temporary residents or for those whose property has been disregarded. Examples include:

  • insurance premiums
  • fuel payments
  • pet care

Applications should be made to your local council's social care department.

Find out more about property disregard

Savings disregard

From 11 April 2022 the savings disregard for eligible care home residents is:

  • £7.30 per week for single residents
  • £10.85 for couples in addition to the personal expenses allowance.

This amount is disregarded when calculating your contribution to care home fees. It applies to people over 65 who get pension credit and publicly-funded residents with a weekly income above the savings credit threshold.

Find out more about pension credit from GOV.UK.
Find out more about capital limits for care home fees.

Further information

The payment of care home fees is a complex subject and depends on many things which are unique to you.

If you want detailed information or personal advice, ask an experienced independent adviser like:

Advice Direct Scotland  phone 0808 800 9060, 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Age Scotland  its fact sheets have information on paying for care homes, or phone their helpline on 0800 12 44 222.

The information was last updated on: 11th April 2022


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.


How could we improve this website or page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS