phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service

How to get care services

How to get care services
If you need to arrange care for yourself or someone else, the local council's social care department can help you.

First of all, contact the social care department at your local council to arrange:

This process of planning care - with your local council - is called self-directed support.

Your assessment of care needs and/or carer's assessment may also include a financial assessment.

How long you may have to wait for a service will depend on the National Eligibility Criteria.

Read more about what care at home services are available.

If you're coming out of hospital and need care, a plan for your care will be arranged with you before you leave the hospital.

Emergency and future planning helps you plan for the care of an adult in case of emergencies or if you're no longer able to care for them.

The information was last updated on: 25th August 2020


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS