phone 0800 011 3200
Our phone service is temporarily suspended as our teams are supporting the management of the coronavirus (COVID-19) helpline
chat service

Assessment of your care needs How to get it

How to get it

How to get it

Contact your local council's social care department and ask for an assessment of your care needs. This is known as self-referral.

You can ask someone else to do this for you, like:

  • your carer
  • your GP
  • a district nurse
  • a member of hospital staff
  • a local housing officer
  • a welfare rights officer
  • a citizens advice worker
  • a relative
  • an advocate
Find out more about advocacy.

When you phone the social care department, you'll be asked questions to find out how urgent your needs are.

If your needs are urgent, you may get help immediately, before the assessment of your care needs can be arranged. This doesn't take the place of a full assessment of your care needs, which you'll get at a later date.

Visits are carried out in order of priority of need. If your needs aren't urgent, you may have to wait for a few weeks for your assessment.

If you think you or the person you care for may need to move into a care home, contact the social care department who can help you to:

  • decide whether you should really move to a care home
  • find a suitable home
  • understand your eligibility for financial support, including free nursing and personal care.
Find out more about care homes.

The information was last updated on: 24th May 2017


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here...

Scottish Government Scottish NHS