phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service

Financial assessment

Financial assessment
If you need care support, ask your local council's social care department for an assessment of your care needs. If you're assessed as needing services which have a charge, the council will also carry out a financial assessment to decide how much – if anything – you need to pay towards the cost of services.

What happens during a financial assessment

Your local council will look at your income and savings and decide how much you can afford to contribute towards paying for services. It might consider whether you have access to other income, which will also be taken into account.

If you disagree with the amount you're asked to pay, you can ask for a review.

If you don't want a financial assessment, you can refuse one. This means you'll have to pay the full cost of any service arranged for you.

You can ask for a reassessment of your situation at any time if your circumstances change.

Charging policies

The council may charge for providing some care services, and the social care department should give you details of charges in its charging policy.

No matter what organisations you get services from, they should tell you what their service will include and how much it'll cost before the service begins.

Direct payments

You have the right to request that any financial help you're eligible for is made to you in direct payments. This means you can arrange your own home care or employ your own home care worker. This is one aspect of self-directed support.

Financial assessment for care homes

If you've been assessed as needing to stay in a care home and if you can't pay the full cost, your local council will carry out a financial assessment for you.

The financial assessment will work out how much you can pay towards the standard rate of care home fees.

Further information

Carers Scotland has a factsheet on getting assessments (PDF 533 KB) in Scotland.

The information was last updated on: 25th August 2020


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.


How could we improve this website or page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS