phone 0800 011 3200
Our phone service is temporarily suspended as our teams are supporting the management of the coronavirus (COVID-19) helpline
chat service

Money Funding care

Funding care

Funding care

Whether you need care at home or a move to a residential care home, the first step is to contact your local council's social care department for an assessment of your care needs, which may include a financial assessment.

Under this system of self-directed support - and depending on your eligibility - the council may be able to offer some services free, like personal and nursing care. It can advise on other services - including equipment and adaptations - which may you may have to pay for. Most people have to pay at least something towards care services.

Carers can ask the local council's social care department - local to the person they care for - for a carer's assessment to find out how the council can support them in their caring role.

If you need to think about residential care, read more about the various aspects to paying for care homes.

Get advice on all these issues by contacting us.

The information was last updated on: 16th January 2019


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here...

Scottish Government Scottish NHS