phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service

Your rights Protection from harm

Protection from harm

Protection from harm

The Adult Support and Protection Act 2007 gives greater protection to adults at risk of harm or neglect.

The act defines adults at risk as people aged 16 years and over, who:

  • may be unable to safeguard their well-being, rights, interests or their property
  • may be harmed by other people
  • because of a disability, illness or mental disorder are more at risk of being harmed than others who are not so affected

It places a duty on local councils to inquire and investigate in cases where harm is known or suspected. Local councils have powers to visit and interview people, arrange medical examinations, examine records and apply for protection orders. They must also consider whether there is any need for advocacy and other services, for example help with medication, or support services.

Many people don't realise the different forms harm can take or how to get help and support. Harm may include:

  • physical harm
  • psychological harm
  • financial harm
  • sexual harm
  • neglect

Harm can occur anywhere, and the person causing harm may be a stranger or may be known to the person being harmed. They may be a relative, a friend, a volunteer or a professional.

If you are being harmed or suspect that someone you know is being harmed, it's very important to tell someone who is trained to listen and can give you emotional support and appropriate information.

There are lots of places you can get advice and help, including your local council's social care department. You should also make sure that if the person who is causing harm has been involved in caring  and was paid for this  the abuse is reported to the police and Disclosure Scotland.

The information was last updated on: 27th August 2020


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.


How could we improve this website or page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS