phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service

Liable relatives

Liable relatives
When it comes to paying care home fees, local councils have no power to assess or ask about the resources of anyone other than the person assessed as needing care.

Only the resident can be held liable for the contribution towards their care home fees, except:

  • where a third party like a relative or friend has signed a private contractual agreement establishing personal liability
  • if the relative or friend received the capital within 6 months of the resident permanently entering a care home, this is part of the deprivation of capital rules
Find out more about deprivation of capital in paying care home fees.

Further information

The payment of care home fees is a complex subject and depends on many things which are unique to you.

If you want detailed information or personal advice, ask an experienced independent adviser like:

Advice Direct Scotland  phone 0808 800 9060, 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Age Scotland  its fact sheets have information on paying for care homes, or phone their helpline on 0800 12 44 222.

The information was last updated on: 14th October 2020


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.


How could we improve this website or page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS